Why protest Batsheva?
Batsheva and Brand Israel
The Batsheva dance company participates in the ‘Brand Israel’ initiative, the aim of which is to create a positive image of Israel internationally by promoting Israeli culture through artists and groups such as Batsheva. This is part of a wider campaign to whitewash Israel’s many human rights abuses and violations of international law, creating the image of a ‘normally’ functioning, democratic country.
The Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs funds Batsheva’s international tours
This is the same government which for over six decades has sustained a system which has left millions of Palestinians living as refugees, whilst millions more struggle against a system of apartheid and occupation.
Countless checkpoints and the illegal apartheid wall restrict freedom of movement, and Palestinian land continues to be confiscated by the Israeli army for the construction of illegal settlements.
Palestinians face daily harassment and humiliation from the army which occupies their land.
Bathsheva helps to whitewash Israel’s crimes of apartheid, occupation and ethnic cleansing against the Palestinians.
What you can do:
- Wherever you are, please send off the letter supporting the call from Don’t Dance with Israeli Apartheid to cancel the invitation to Batsheva. It only takes a few seconds.
- Join the protests at the Playhouse Theatre, Leith Walk, Edinburgh on Thursday 30th August from 6.00pm and two following nights.
- Support the daily activity during the Edinburgh Festival in support of Palestinian freedom. If you or your friends are visiting Edinburgh in August get in touch firstname.lastname@example.org
- Link up now with protest organisers across the UK to plan demonstrations at every Batshevaperformance during their 8-city UK tour in ‘November’, including the two opening slots in Edinburgh’s Festival Theatre (Oct 30 & 31), email email@example.com.
Batsheva UK tour in October/November.
Edinburgh, Festival Theatre Tue 30 Oct & Wed 31 Oct
The Lowry, Salford Quays Fri 2 Nov & Sat 3 Nov
Bradford, Alhambra Theatre Tue 6 Nov & Wed 7 Nov
Brighton Dome, Concert Hall Fri 9 Nov & Sat 10 Nov
Birmingham Hippodrome Tue 13 Nov & Wed 14 Nov
Leicester, Curve Theatre Fri 16 Nov
London, Sadler’s Wells Mon 19 Nov, Tue 20 Nov & Wed 21 Nov
Plymouth, Theatre Royal Fri 23 Nov & Sat 24 Nov
Further information at No2BrandIsrael
Here are the final videos by BIN:
Bradford Batsheva Protest [Longer Video in HD] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPPz_6GfLRo
Leicester Batsheva Protest [Longer Video in HD] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lr-udHtknUM
Lowry Batsheva Protest [Longer Video in HD] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLVu18i1pMY
Birmingham Hippodrome Batsheva Protest [Longer Video in HD] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5j9Po0iY3c
Videos by activists:
Edinburgh Festival Theatre Batsheva Protest Oct 31st 2012 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NyH2YMGjlY
London Batsheva Protest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmnqfWbm59w
London Batsheva Protest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m26RUCPh6Y
Brighton Batsheva Protest http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsIxaq5rcjI
Previous videos from August 2012 Edinburgh International Festival:
Batsheva Protest at Edinburgh International Festival http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLxC6q2c0x4
Batsheva Protest in Edinburgh 2012 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Zh9IG4gy7k
Latest News and Articles on Boycott Batsheva Campaign
- ‘Brand Israel’ will always be opposed December 26, 2012 Every dance performance by Brand Israel asset Batsheva at the Edinburgh International Festival in August, and across the UK in November has been protested outside and inside. The protests and protest logo were also in evidence at Batsheva performances in Rome and Turin in the same month. From the opening confrontations in Edinburgh to the ...
- VIDEO: Growing Palestine Activism in the UK December 1, 2012 Across Britain growing numbers of people are acting in solidarity with Palestinians Source: The Real News
- Megaphone used inside the Plymouth Theatre Royal to shout “Free, free Palestine” and “Israel is a stain on humanity” November 24, 2012 TWO women were thrown out of the Theatre Royal after they disrupted a performance by an Israeli dance company, writes Keith Rossiter. The women were greeted with cheers by protesters as they were evicted from the Plymouth theatre last night. The pair, who had bought tickets to a show by the Batsheva Dance Company, stood up and ...
- Plymouth – Waving goodbye to Batsheva Friday 23rd & Saturday 24th November 21, 2012 After three successive nights of protest and disruption to Bathsheva’s Sadlers Wells performances now its Plymouth’s turn. Its already a remarkable achievement that a state sponsored Israeli company has faced huge protests, and had their show disrupted on every single night of their UK tour. We are sending a really powerful message to all theatre ...
- Israeli Dance Performance Disrupted For Third Night At Sadler’s Wells November 21, 2012 NOVEMBER 21 – For the third consecutive night, pro-Palestinian protesters evaded enhanced security checks to mount demonstrations inside Sadler’s Wells theatre where the Batsheva dance ensemble from Israel was performing the last of three London shows. Its tour continues on Friday and Saturday in Plymouth where campaigners have pledged to mount further protests. Audience members waiting ...
- ANGER AT GAZA SLAUGHTER TARGETS SADLER’S WELLS November 18, 2012 AN UPDATED NEWS RELEASE FROM THE BRITISH COMMITTEE FOR THE UNIVERSITIES OF PALESTINE AND JEWS FOR BOYCOTTING ISRAELI GOODS NOVEMBER 18 – FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE ANGER AT GAZA SLAUGHTER TARGETS SADLER’S WELLS PROTEST OVER GAZA DEATHS MOVES TO THEATRE HOSTING ISRAEL’S BATSHEVA DANCE ENSEMBLE BATSHEVA ACCUSED OF ACTING AS CULTURAL FIGLEAF FOR ATROCITIES SADLER’S WELLS BEEFS UP SECURITY IN PREPARATION FOR PRO-PALESTINE PROTESTS ACADEMICS ...
- The Don’t Dance with Israeli Apartheid UK campaign continues: London & Plymouth November 18, 2012 It is more important then ever that the performances in London this week, at Sadlers Wells theatre, are met with large and angry protests outside and inside. Cultural propaganda sponsored and supported by the Israeli Government has no place in the UK at any time, and especially not at this moment when Israel is murdering ...
- Uk-wide Pro-Palestine Dance Protest Reaches Sadler’s Wells as Gaza Casualties Mount November 15, 2012 NEWS RELEASE FROM THE BRITISH COMMITTEE FOR THE UNIVERSITIES OF PALESTINE AND JEWS FOR BOYCOTTING ISRAELI GOODS UK-WIDE PRO-PALESTINE DANCE PROTEST REACHES SADLER’S WELLS AS GAZA CASUALTIES MOUNT FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE ISRAEL’S BATSHEVA CHALLENGED IN ITALY AS WELL AS ALL UK VENUES SADLER’S WELLS BEEFS UP SECURITY IN PREPARATION FOR PRO-PALESTINE PROTESTS ACADEMICS CONDEMN THEATRE MANAGEMENT REFUSAL TO ENTER DIALOGUE November 15 – A nationwide ...